Fundraising Lotto

Club Newsletter


ANNAGHDOWN G.A.A 1887-2001

The club was formed in 1887 and its history is documented in ''Annaghdown G.A,A 1887-1989.

The first game of football was played on July 31 1887 in John Cummins field in Corrandulla,With teams from Corofin and Caherlistrane it was a great sporting event,

Hurling can be traced back to 1926,when local teams played tournaments as there were no organised competition at the time,In 1928 Annaghdown won a hurling tournament played in Augclogeen.

In 1929 we lost a West board junior football final to Carna,but the following year we won West championship,but lost to Tuam in the county final,we had to go senior the following year.The 1931 championship began with a win over Oughterard,As no semi-finals were played we were in the county final against Ballinasloe,we won the final by 4-2 to 0-13,we also won the west minor championship that year .

Ricky Burke played minor for Galway in 1936 and 1937,In 1944 we won the west board championship, Junior football titles were won in1938,1956 and1958. Our next big win was in 1970 when we won the county Junior title again ,and that was the launching pad for senior league titles in 1975,76 and 1983 and of course county senior champions titles in 1982,85 and 1987.

On the hurling front our first major win was in 1955 when we beat Cussane in the league final,We lost to Abbey in the championship in 1956,Athenry beat us in the north final the following year by 6-6 to 4-5.

In 1962 we beat Abbeyknockmoy in the north final 1-7 to 0-2 but lost to Killimordaly in the county semi-final by 3-13 to 2-9,We also won the north final in 1964,65,and we were Intermediate in 1966

1967 Saw us back to junior again and the next ten years was a mixed bag of results,But 1979 we made history to win the county 'B' title beating St Thomas by 4-7 to 3-5.

1980 We became the first club in Galway to Win Feile when we beat Moycullen in the final


We won three senior County Finals starting with 1982 followed by 1985 and 1987 and we lost another to Tuam in 1989, In 1982 we beat Ballinasloe by 1-9to 1-7 in the fist round and had a two point win over Kilkererin in the Quarter-Final 0-10 to 0-8.

The Semi-Final was against Dunmore McHales and another close call as the score was 0-7 to 0-6 ,The final was against Val Dalys Mountbellew and we were the underdogs,but as the local press stated the following week-end "ANNAGHDOWN'S JOY DAY" The cup was back on winning scoreline of 1-9 to 0-7. We lost to Tourlestrane in the Connacht Semi-Final by 0-9 to 0-7.

In 1985 the Championship was run on a league grouping with four groups of four teams with the top two in each group going into the knockout quarter-finals,We were grouped with Cortoon,Tuam Stars and St Gabriels.We beat Cortoon in our first game by1-11 to 0-6 ,we drew with Tuam 1-8 each,and were lucky to beat St Gabriels by one point1-7 to 1-6.The quarter-final was against Caherlistrane and it was a last minute point that saw us advance to the Semi-Finals.

Tuam Stars were our next test and once again it went down to the wire and another one point win 0-9 to 1-5 and we were in the County Final again, This time against Monivea/Abbknockmoy.The Final was a low scoring game and it finished 0-6 each.

The re-play saw Annaghdown lead by 1-7 to 0-0 at half-time,But at the end is all so close with only two points in our favour 1-8 to 1-6, with Michael Burke scoring 1-4 of our total and received the 'Man of the match award. In the Connacht Club we beat Gortletteragh from Leitrim by 4-9 to 0-6, but lost to Ballina Stephenites in the semi-final by 1-7 to 1-4 .

Gerry Forde was senior footballer of the year in Galway.

The 1987 Championship saw us in a group with Corofin, St Brendans and St Grellans,We beat St.Grellans in our first game by 0-10 to 0-5, and followed that with a 2-13 to 0-12 win over St.Brendans,and we lost to Corofin in the final group game,but at that stage both teams were in the quarter-finals.Salthill were our next team to play and we won the quarter final by 0-10 to 0-3.

The semi-final was against Tuam Stars and we won with only one to spare 0-11 to 0-10 despite the fact that we lead by seven points early in the second half,The final was against Milltown who were the fancied to win out.The papers the next week said it all.


We won by 1-7 to 0-7 with Tom Naughton scoring the match winning goal,and we winning our third county cup since 1982 and Willie Hughes won the man of the award, In the Connacht Club we lost to Ballina Stephenites in Cregg by 1-6 to 0-6

In 1989 we lost our first County Final to Tuam Stars by 2-9 to 0-5 after beating St Michaels,Ballinasloe and Corofin in the early rounds as the Championship was back to a knock-out system again.

Our sponsors